Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Casey James and the American Idol Tour in Sunrise, Florida

Yesterday was quiet. Too quiet. If this were a movie, there'd be a loud shriek right about now. So, cue Siobhan Magnus, because the tour is back on tonight in sunny Sunrise in South Florida at the BankAtlantic Center. The local newspaper disparagingly called this group "ten up-and-coming pop performers that a feverish segment of the U.S. knows way too much about and the rest of us wouldn't be able to pick out of a lineup." Well, The New Times of Broward County, I never heard of you either.

Let's see how a day's rest suits Casey. I thought his vocals in Georgia were a bit rough (not that that's a bad thing, I like it rough), and maybe he'll bring the honey tones back. As the tour moves ever closer to Casey's hometown,some are wondering if a record deal announcement has been delayed so it can be made there with the local media in attendance. We shall see --but that would be a nice ending to this chapter. What began -- not in Dallas, but in Denver -- should conclude back in the Lone Star State.

The official American Idol site has a new interview up with Casey.  To me, the most significant part of the interview was this answer: “After the tour I will continue doing what I’ve always done – making music and performing – and I will use the exposure the show has given me to make an album. My band is ready and pumped up and excited to move forward. I’m excited about the future.”  My band?  Sounds promising!!

Rather than mess with the giant media empire -- here's a link to the interview


See you back here for all the videos, photos and reactions.

Photo with Twitter fan shellgal9


I Got Mine



Don't


HYERLAW


It's All Over Now


Photos

First three credit UPI/Michael Bush Photo via Newscom
Casey James performs with the American Idols 2010 tour at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on August 3, 2010. UPI/Michael Bush Photo via Newscom


Casey James performs with the American Idols 2010 tour at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on August 3, 2010. UPI/Michael Bush Photo via Newscom


Aaron Kelly (L) and Casey James perform with the American Idols 2010 tour at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on August 3, 2010. UPI/Michael Bush Photo via Newscom




Review from "Negativo" (posted on MJ'sBigBlog):

8th up: Casey. During the the Idol season, I found Casey to be just OK. He was pretty wooden on stage, and seemed more about looking pretty and playing his guitar than delivering vocals. Take him or leave him. Tonight, he absolutely blew me away. Maybe it’s because I was so ready for something roking after Mike made me nauseous with his endless testimonials of love, but Casey just KILLED it from the get go. Texas blues/rock at its finest.

First, he laid to waste I Got Mine, just shredding electric blues rifts like a guitar master. That wooden Casey was long gone, and in its place was the confident Casey getting lost in the song both vocally and instrumentally. His next song was some fluffy nothingness that was obviously included to make him appear more sensitive, and then he brought back BIG MIKE LOVE GOD to torture me with Have You Ever Loved a Woman. After that slop, he got back to the blues bidness, breaking out the slide guitar and powering out a rip-roaring version of “Its All Over Now” . Great job, Casey! I hope you keep the tender fluff to a minimum when you go out on your own, because your blues/rock chops are fierce.
The Palm Beach Post published a nice article with quite a few pictures of the Idols performing and later meeting fans.  Their revew was quite odd and I won't quote any of it here, just note that they totally missed the name of the song that Casey sang (claiming he sang "when  Man Loves a Woman").  But they had a nice, if not unexpectd, quote from Casey about why they meet with the fans:  "It’s the least we can do to give back to the people that put us here.”

What they lack in accuracy in naming songs, however,  the PBP more than made up for with pictures.  So click on their name above to see all their pictures (embed was disabed, so I can't post them here).

Video:
Casey Meeting with Fans after the Show


Twitter fan ShellGal9's video of meeting Casey after the show and him signing her shirt

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like MORE than Ready to Make His Own Album. Exciting !!!
    BTW Shari, Thank you for all your update Articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shari, once again you've said (written) it perfectly! It would be SO sweet to have a record deal for Casey announced at his hometwon tour show in Dallas...but even if that doesn't happen, I am convinced there is a record deal in his future...the exposure he got by being on Idol coupled with the awesome reviews he's gettin on this tour will make some savvy record exec sit up and take notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Cyndee: I've not read that anywhere else, that he might be saving the news for Texas. If so, I have only one word. "BRILLIANT!" My only hope is that he's got good advice. As a lawyer, Shari, I'm sure you'll agree. There are a lot of t's to cross and i's to dot to make sure he's protected and that he gets what he wants. If that's taking some time, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto, keep the tender fluff to a minimum. Although I do like Big Mike's fluff, Casey is better suited for rocking out.

    ReplyDelete