Monday, September 20, 2010

Casey James News -- 9/20/10

As usual, as news, no matter how small, comes in, I'll update it here.

First, a tweet from USAToday's Brian Mansfield (who is based in Nashville, so likely to be a great source of info for months to come!).  "Aimee Mayo told me Casey was at a guitar pull with her and Luke Laird here in town Saturday night. 'Course, they didn't invite me."

For those of you, like me, who have no clue was a "guitar pull" is, I asked @usatodayidol and he tweeted: "Guitar pull=Buncha songwriters sitting around, taking turns singing songs."  So now you, and I, know.

As we wonder what kind of music Casey might make in Nashville, we can look for some hints at the music he grew up listening to.  According to his mother, Debra "Bybee" James, growing up Casey liked Merle Haggard, George Jones and Hank Williams, Jr.  Another singer that the whole family loved, she said, was a new name for me, Vern Gosdin.  Debra suggested I listen to "Is it Raining at Your House" where you can hear his voice "tapping into that human spirit and connecting with the audience."  Here's that video:



It's funny, and coincidental, that the first comment attached a clip of Hank Williams, Jr. and "A Country Boy Can Survive." I mentioned this song to Debra and she told me that song was one of the first that Casey learned on the guitar!

10 comments:

  1. Ok - so I had to look up these artist to see what kind of music they sing/play. I don't think I've ever popped into a song that had over 8 MILLION hits before.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is it crazy that every time I hear about an artist that Casey loves I go and buy some of their music??? Nahhh! I feel like I get to know him on a different level listening to the music he listens too!! :) LOVE him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!! Thanks, as always Shari!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blogpost Shari! Just loving all this good news coming out of Nashville!!! Thanks for keeping us updated!!
    @hankyoublues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm.. I should start getting used to country music. hehe

    Thanks, Shari!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to go to that guitar pull!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks Shari!! Love that you keep us posted! well, since I am one of the older "Casey James Girls" I do know Vern Gosdin and he just passed away last year if I remember correctly, but he had some great music, it doesn't surprise me that Casey listened to him. It seems that Casey was born with an old soul, meaning he loves the music that I grew up listening to, and having Debra for his Mom, he got double doses! What a thrill we are going to get when he starts playing with some of them, like Hank Jr., Merle Haggard and even Willie, dang Willie is probably already keeping up with the news on Casey, he loves seeing the young talent fighting for their space to play good music. There are a lot of ghosts of great talent that walk the streets of Nashville, I am so happy for Casey, what must that feel like for him to be walking in their shoes, so to speak,, it is probably still surreal for him, it is for me! But he will do his own thing, he will be unique!
    and we have guitar pulls right here in FT. Worth, down on the Stockyards, used to be on Thursday nights at the White Elephant Saloon, but of course we want to be at the one in Nashville where Casey is! Thanks again girl, you are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Shari. I am much like Casey in that I have music on my Ipod from all over the place. I like almost anything. However, I do have a special place in my heart for the music of Merle, Hank, Jr., etc. It just thrills me that Casey grew up listening to these great musicians! Casey introduced us to some great music and the song that I like best is "Come To Jesus" by Mindy Smith. Can't wait to hear Casey's original music!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of but very much enjoyed Vern Gosdin. The old country music was just so beautiful; the unconditional love no matter what, the say good-bye but I'll love you forever song. Enjoyed Hank Williams, Jr. Thank you for all the great news from Nashville, Shari, I'm sure Casey is having the time of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mi-a placut mul Casey...te face sa-l indragesti de cand il vezi si auzi prima data. Este sincer si-ti insufla optimism. Felicitari !!!!

    ReplyDelete